Re: Fear of "canned" loops

The current musical environment is full of many things that I
personally avoid.  And there are some things that I enjoy as a music
consumer that I don't as music producer.  But whatever works for you,
and your audience, works.  At one end of the spectrum you've got free
improvisation, and the other end you've got lip syncing, and everything
else falls somewhere between.  Everyone has their personal line, one
side of which is "acceptable", the other is "cheating".

Personally, I've adopted a set of "rules", (inspired by the Dogme 95
film movement) for my solo looping project to push me out of certain
comfort zones that I've developed over the years.  So: only acoustic
guitar, no effects other than a reverb applied to the entire mix, no
pre-recorded material, two brother-sync'ed EDPs.  I've mulled over the
idea of using a drum machine to generate a MIDI click, but for now I've
opted to use a self-generated base loop and build everything else
relative to that timing.

But like I said, if the pre-recorded stuff is working for you, rock out
'til ya pass out.

TravisH