RE: Fear of "canned" loops

Many of the 'live' acts I've worked with this summer used DAT or
sequenced bits to enhance their performance and, properly done, works
quite well. Doc Powell flew in from LA with his guitar and a Zip drive,
used the backline provided and hired local hotshots to read charts.
Keiko Matsui relied on her drummer to trigger a DAT as well. Chris
Botti's keyboardist used an old Akai sampler and zip drive for some
backing tracks and Alexander Zonjic's drummer, Danny Cox uses Ddrum
triggers and an MPC for sample triggering.

In every case, there was a full band on stage, playing all of their
parts, so they were not relying on the 'samples' to provide the show. We
had a few discussions at Tuesday coffee about all this. Everyone seems
to agree that it is all about the music and leaving the audience
satisfied rather than feeling guilty about using a few backing bits.

On the other hand, one local client that recently opened for Culture
Club, said their whole show was canned! The musicians played, but there
was only stage volume and their 'performance' did not reach the house.
With the exception of the vocals, they relied entirely on the DAT for
their show. This is certainly what we are trying to avoid, but I don't a
single person in the audience knew.

Ultimately, pleasing the people that sign the check is the underlying
factor. Spelled out, this is the club owner, promoter or the ticket
holding audience. If they leave at the end of the show feeling they 'got
what they paid for', they just might have favorable comments about the
artist. This word of mouth advertising might help to fill the next
club/festival you play!

We can climb the mountain and shout for artistic integrity or purism and
that's ok too. If you sleep good at night, pleased the audience and got
paid, it really doesn't matter how you got there. Just remember to avoid
felling that you've arrived! ;)

Respect

Will Brake
Soul Fruit Electronics