Re: Looping with other musicians, new tools=new results

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 10:49 AM,
Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:

> In regards to time, sync and drummers:  Since when is it the drummer’s
> or bassist’s responsibility to keep time/tempo for others?

Like the idea of everyone tuning to a common referent, no-one knows
when it started, but it sure caught on real quick.  That's why we have
terms like "the rhythm section".

> One thing I stress in bands for which I play (and usually in a role of
> MD), as well as to my students, is that it is NOT the role of the
> rhythm section to “keep” time and/or tempo for the other players.
> That is an individual responsibility of each player, and if you cannot
> manage this elementary discipline then you are really not ready to
> “play”.

That's one school of thought.  The other school of thought (that the
drummer has the primary [not sole] responsibility of keeping time for
the rest of the band) has many more adherents, at least in North
America.
Neither school is more right than the other, but adherents of one
philosophy often have trouble playing with the other.  I'd say if you
can't follow the "rhythm section", then you're not ready to play.

For me, I'd show the door to a drummer that espoused the
"Bruford-esque" line of thinking.  Including probably, Bill Bruford.  I
prefer to play with musicians who make my job easier (because it's hard
enough already) rather than harder.  I try to be real upfront about
this early on in the process.

TravisH