From: Kim Flint [mailto:kflint@loopers-delight.com]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 9:29 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Looping with other musicians, new tools=new results

At 09:57 PM 8/29/2003, Mike Barrs wrote:
> > >If you want to play with other musicians, a looper is a barrier
> > >because it's like playing to a click track... which everyone
> > hates, unless
> > >they're another looping musician.
> >
> > That's true if the looper is a beginner and doesn't know how to
adjust
> > their loops with the music around them.
>
>I don't know about that. Even with tap tempo on the Repeater, you're a
long
>way from the kind of realtime, continuous tempo adjustment that happens
with
>live musicians.

In addition to the tap tempo, you also can adjust tempo with the tempo
knob
on the Repeater. With that I think you could use a beat matching
technique
like DJ's use with the speed controls of a turntable. As with any other
techniques for adjusting loop tempos, it will take some practicing to do

this well. Certainly DJ's spend a lot of time practicing this, and good
ones get the tempos matched up very quickly. I don't see why you
couldn't
do the same with your Repeater.

Also, the Repeater has the Beat Detect function, where it can determine
tempo from an incoming audio signal. It's a little tricky to work around

the signal routing issues, but I think you can manage get a feed from
the
drums coming in on one channel and use that for setting the tempo for
loops
recorded on the other channels. (since you don't want to record the
drums.)
Then as the tempo of the drums coming in drifts, the Repeater will
expand
and compress the loop time to keep it matched and in sync. It works
pretty
well, once you work out the routing.

There are other devices on the market that only do this beat detection,
like the Red Sound Micro Sync which detects BPM of incoming audio and
outputs a midi clock. This is commonly used by DJ's to match sequencers
and
tempo effects to the beat coming off a record. It could also easily
serve
your purpose to keep the Repeater (or other loopers) in sync with your
live
drummer, and you wouldn't have to deal with the routing problem on the
repeater.

>Also, it's a strange concept (outside of looping) for the
>rest of the band to follow the guitar player, or the keyboard player,
or
>whoever is into looping. Tempo management is normally the role of the
>drummer and bass player.

Right! I agree, at least in a rock context. That's why I'm saying its
the
wrong approach for you to walk into that and try to change the whole
band
dynamic by insisting that now suddenly everybody has to follow the tempo

from your loop in some section of the song. In my view, that's
amateurish.
You are the one controlling the loop, it is your job to keep it in tempo

with the others, whether it be by your manual control, giving the
drummer
means to set and adjust your loop tempo, or some automatic sync
mechanism.

It's not a simple thing, there are many different tempo techniques that
will apply to different situations, you may need to make some
adjustments
or compromises to make it work, and you need to do some practicing to
get
the hang of it. The more you understand it the better you will be at
doing
it and the more options you will see for any given situation. A lot of
beginners with looping don't know how to do these techniques and try to
insist that the loop is uncontrollable and therefore everybody else has
follow that tempo, which I think is an excellent way to end up being a
solo
musician.

[Will Brake] <snip>

> > It's no different from a beginner on any other instrument. How well
does
> > someone who just started playing drums play with others? That's
gonna be
> > just as much a tempo problem!

[Will Brake] <snip>
kim