Re: Appropriate use of canned material in concert was RE: Fear of "canned" loops

I actually came into ambient music in a weird way by using canned Brian
Eno.  We were playing a gig where the house put on a Brian Eno album on
during our break.  I used to have a hard time wrangling the band back
from breaks, so this time I just went up and started doing a duet with
Brian.  One by one bandmates realized it was me playing around with my
Digitech 8 sec delay (modified with large rubber washers so I could
tweak the knobs with my feet.) and came up and joined me.  After all of
us made it on stage we launched into our song (our stuff was kind of
Pink Floyd influenced so weird noise intros weren't unusual) but the
house never killed the Eno!  I liked it so much I bought a few Brian
Eno albums and found that when I just listened to them, my pop-song
mentality had a hard time with a long form ambient piece.  Playing
along with it with the delay kind of made a lightbulb go off and after
a bit I "got it."  Now I listen to stuff that's way more minimal and I
have a hard time believing that there was a time where I thought, "When
does the song start?"

The funny thing was I went to an ambient show recently and one of the
pieces was an Eno cut slightly manipulated with a KAOSS pad with a
Diggeriedoo player playing over it.  My mind instantly thought, "LAME."
  It wasn't until I started writing this email that I realized that I
was once guilty of the same thing.  I have a feeling that this was
their planned act, while ours was a happy accident.  We also added a
full composition over Brian.  OK, I'm now making excuses.  It was
probably pretty lame.  I don't think we or the audience thought it was
lame.  I remember my band mates thinking it was mostly funny.  It did
turn me on to adding long ambient loops to a lot of our songs.

Anyway, I still recommend playing along with a Brian Eno album to any
musicians who tell me that they don't "get" ambient music.  I wouldn't
use it in a show, but as a way to understand ambient music I found it
very useful.

Mark Sottilaro