RE: digitech gnx3

Richard
I've had one of these for a couple of months.
I responded to a couple of general questions earlier this summer.
Note:
I am not familiar with the original JamMan to compare it.  I'm also
relatively new to looping.
That said, the GNX3 has been a pretty great tool for me.

David said:
>>However, the new GNX3 Jam Man function does not function very
>>effectively as a live looper, in my opinion, because you can't actually
>do
>>this on the GNX3. You have to set up a tempo time before recording the
loop,
>>and then if you don't use quantize and the count-in function on the GNX3
>>looper, your loops will often times show up with a very noticeable
"skipping
>>sound" on the loop (like when a cd skips). If you're timing is absolutely
>>precise, and the material you are playing into the loop is in fact
>exactly
>>at the tempo you set ahead of time, you will not always get the skip--but
>>there were times I did all that correctly with out count in or quantize
set,
>>I'd still got the skip anyway. So, you will have to use that count-in
clock
>>everytime you loop if you want to avoid the skip. Which, basically, makes
it
>>kind of suck as a live "on the fly" looper because you can't just "loop
and
>>go" with reliably seamless results like you could on the old Jam Man,
where
>>this was never a problem.

I have seen this problem. But I've also found some solutions.  I never use
the quantize function when using this for looping. Mostly because I'm not
willing to hear (or let the audience hear) a click/drum track or even a
count in.
My typical setup is no count it, song repeat on, and quantize off. In my
experience the "skip sound" seems to happen much more often when there is
still a tone sounding when the end of the loop is marked.  I typically try
to record a bass or percussion loop first, generally because I can set it
up
to be quiet or silent by the time I kick in the loop.  When and if you get
your fist loop set and there not a pop, you definately won't hear a pop on
any of the subsequent tracks.  Its a little bit risky I'll admit (in that
you might get caught on stage with a loop that has a pop in it) but I'd say
generally its a good looping tool at least for me.  I probably have about
85-90% success rate not getting the pop sound using it as a looper.

Side notes:
The effects that are packaged with this device are still great, which
should
make it useful to me even after I get a 'real" looper like the EDP in the
near future.  The fact that you can plug your mic directly, decide if it
will be assigned the effects of your preset, and loop it is a very cool
thing.
If your willing to bend over mid-performance you can turn on and off tracks
that you've laid down.
The additional foot pedal ($50) to control the recording stuff is pretty
handy.

For an example of what I've done with this little toy, check out:
http://www.timcoopermusic.net/mp3s/untitled.mp3 (2MB)

-- tim cooper