Re: M-Audio Firewire interface (was Looping with a PC laptop... which one?)

The FW410 gives me about 5ms in, 4ms out latency, for a total of 9ms,
whereas I think I was at somewhere between 14 and 24 (depending on sample
rate) in Ableton using the Quattro USB.  The biggest advantage over USB is
bandwidth -- M-Audio's USB units are (I think) all USB 1.1, not 2.0, so
you're pretty limited in the way of throughput.  Add to this that USB audio
interfaces don't tend to like to share the USB bus (with things like USB
MIDI keyboards, controllers, mice etc), and you can end up with a logjam
pretty quickly.  I was experiencing some clicks, pops, and, when using over
8 or 9 tracks, inexplicable full-bar dropouts over USB.  All of this is
gone
with the FW unit, which also boasts two preamps w/48v phantom power, and a
much better routing/mixing software than the USB units.  Plus, for under
$400, it's by far the cheapest (and smallest) firewire unit out there.

I *have* overheard some mac users grumbling about conflicts with other FW
devices (particularly cameras), but I haven't tried any chaining yet, so I
can't attest to this on the Win side.

cheers,
gene