Re: EDP IN/OUT Mod

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 05:56  PM,
Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:

> From: Kim Flint <kflint@loopers-delight.com>
> Date: Mon Sep 29, 2003  4:56:38  PM US/Eastern
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: Re: EDP IN/OUT Mod
>

> At 02:43 PM 9/28/2003, Laurent Brondel wrote:
>> i own 2 EDPs, one oberheim-branded and one gibson-branded. even
>> though i changed the IN/OUT capacitors
>
> I think you mean resistors....

yes, that's what i meant…

>> on the oberheim -as per kim's EDP pages recommendation-, i am still
>> not getting the same IN/OUT level as on the gibson. is there a mod to
>> render them similar? that would be very handy for quick visual >>
>setups.
>
> is your concern just about the knob positions? Why not just pull the
> knobs off one and place them back rotated a little so they match in
> level when the knob indicator is in the same spot?

i didn't think of that, thanks. to get the same input level the
oberheim is at 9:00 and the gibson at 12:00, pretty drastic.

> Otherwise, the circuit inside is pretty much the same. Maybe the pots
> have a different taper or something, I guess that could make a
> difference.

the taper is definitely different.

> The only other possibility is with the limiter in the newer units. If
> you have the level turned up too high, you will be hitting the limiter
> in one and not the other, and that could obviously make them
> different. If that is the case though, you just have the level turned
> up too far....

when the levels are adjusted well, both units sound identical. but it
takes some time to re-adjust the knobs to the 'sweet' spot, so i guess
the taper of the pots affects how the limiter is going to interact.

kim, how are the new blackface EDPs? do they retain the same A/D-D/A
converters and same preamps? or are they improved versions of the
whiteface EDPs?

thanks,
laurent