Re: Looping with a PC laptop... which one?

At 05:55 PM 9/29/2003 -0700, msottilaro wrote:

>That's why I'm looking for a laptop.  Rack-mounted PCs are sweet, but I'm
>going for stealth and speed.  I loose flexibility, but hopefully it will
>still be fun playing live sound collage with my prerecorded material.

Mark,

What you're going for sounds way kewl, but I'm wondering if you might be
wandering into oversize/overkill with some of the available options.
Since
you seem to place a high priority on 'fast & light', I'd look at one of
the
smaller notebooks (aside: heck, has anybody tried running Ableton on a
palmtop yet?).

And given the fact that you've expressed some interest in both the Apple
PowerBook and the Sony Vaio, I'm wondering if you might be able to find
something suitable for less dinero on the used/refurbished market.  The
Vaio's been around for quite a while and has been a good piece of gear
pretty much since its inception.  And you can get one of the tiny G3
iBooks
that's been factory-refurbed for a decent amount of money too.  Depends on
your desired platform/poison.

However, bleeding edge laptops are probably just going to have most of
their market value evaporate.  So why not consider something a bit behind
the curve, which will better fall into your price range and still do an
admirable job supporting your apps?

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil