Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 6:43 AM
Subject: RE: qy70/EDP

>>Can somebody hold my hand and walk me through getting my QY70 to sync with
my Echoplex? I have the midi in set on the EDP and the midi out of my QY.
I've followed the manual but can't get anything to work. Help!?<<

I have a qy70, which I have use as master midi clock on several occasions. CC's are continous controllers, like volume, pan, and many others, the use of which varies from one box to another and can be user-configurable, though there are some loose standards. one of the most useful things about midi, especially for live music....

but I digress.
there's a page in the qy70's midi menu where you can select the clock mode to either master or slave; the thing is probably already in the right mode as it won't start at all in slave mode unless there's incming clock, so it ain't that.... but check it anyway.

I don't know the edp's midi implementation, but maybe it's not responding to midi-start commands.

the other annoying thing about the qy70 (and the other little yamaha units that support XG, their own version of general midi- supposedly a universal orchestration standard) is that whenever you start a pattern or song on the qy, it sends a little salvo of CC's and PC's (programme changes) to set up XG parameters in the remote device so that the songs play with the right settings. it's quite possible that the EDP is responding to one of these. make sure that the channel-specific control of the EDP is selected to a midi channel that the qy70 isn't broadcasting; the qy can be "told" to operate on one of two groups of 8 channels (1-8 or 9-16) and persists in setting up the XG parameters even on empty tracks... so you want to make sure that the EDP is ignoring all that and just listening for system realtime stuff- start/clock/stop and possibly song-pointers if this is relevant.

the qy series of "walkstations" have some limited potential as midi-loopers; this is prompting me to dig mine out and play with it again....

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe