RE: Bose Offers New Take on Live Sound

From: Nemoguitt@aol.com [mailto:Nemoguitt@aol.com]

> interesting amplification system.....i called BOSE and you're looking
> at about $2000 for an entire system: 1 tower, 1 stand (amp) and 1 bass
> speaker.....i'll bet it's alot lighter than the mackie srm's.....:)
> .....Click here: Harmony Central®: Bose Offers New Take on Live Sound

I saw that mentioned on the jazz guitar Usenet group. Bose has a "contest"
where the "winners" get a free system to go out on the road and promote the
system (for free).

I don't know... maybe it's a revolutionary advancement, but Bose isn't
exactly a respected name in live sound (that's putting it mildly).

One potential problem I can see is added feedback problems with acoustic
instruments and vocal mics. When I'm playing acoustic guitar instead of
electric, I can at least angle my Mackie SRM450's so they don't point right
at my guitar, and make feedback control worse. I don't see how this
"radiant" system will be able to avoid making feedback on stage worse than
it is with more direct-throw speaker systems.

I also don't get the idea of putting the mains in the backline. Check out
the graphic at the top of this page from the Bose web site, for the
suggested arrangement onstage:

http://tinyurl.com/sqfr

Sound volume follows the inverse square law for distance. Wouldn't you have
to run the thing painfully loud for the musicians, in order to get enough
SPL's in the back of the room for the audience?

Well, that's my initial take, and I'm a natural skeptic. Maybe this is the
greatest thing since sliced bread. We need some real-world user reviews.

--
MIke Barrs