Re: Solo Loop Gig Question?

> > ------>So do you use "tracks" be they MIDI or audio when trying to
>"sound
> > like the record"?

For the gigs im doing at the minute my "covers" are Goreki by Lamb, Ghost
by
Howie Day and Teardrop by massive atack .

I dont try to replicate the original anymore then Eva Cassidy tried to
sound
like Sting on "feilds of gold" r whatever, I mearly saw value in the
original composition within a looped context as they hav a repeated
patteren
of note progressions.

I create all the sound live........i'll use Teardrop as an example

1.record short loop of my tapping on guitar to get the drum beat
2.record THAT picked riff over it.
3. transfare those parts PLUS all the bass notes for the verse and chorus
whilst singing the appropriate vocal line (and adding deleay/reverb via
foot
controller where appropriate)
Overdub that much longer loop with ebowed "string arrangement" while
singing
second  verse chorus

(once my EDP is back up and running I want so store the first drum step on
loop 2 so i can do a breakdown at the end)

this is just one example of my work, beliv me when i start doing it i do
get
e few skeptical looks but for my last gig I had a small web-cam pointing
at
my foot controller set up and then feeding live to my V-jay friend who pit
this live feed over some other video clips and projected the whole thing
onto a screen behind me.

I think that this made my approch very clear.

I also think that failing having access to such a media suite, it is in
the
Loopers favour to explain what he or she is going to be doing before they
begin.

  I know that all this will still fail to imress some on list and thats
fine. I DO still play the other more "where the hell m i going" improv
stuff, indeed in my bedroom i use this approch as a catalyst for most of
my
work that end up as repeatable structured songs, its just that in my local
college orientated music scene there are reletivly few people who are
attracted to anyting but the tinyest fraction of left of center.

gotta go now.
Phill

On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone
http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile