Re: Help about setting up a computer-based rig

On 03-11-17 09.42,  "cristian cascetta" <cristian@accord.it> wrote:

Hi Cristian,

> As my girlfriend just bought a used IBM Thinkpad, I'd like to try some

That one seems to be a good choice for laptop. At least "as good as a
laptop
can be" for looping ;-)

Your post doesn't say what you are going to record or loop but if you're
idea is to record audio you can have a lot of fun with the Ableton Live
software. But you should know that you can not do looping by layering many
takes by sound-on-sound on top of the same loop. For that you you have to
look into hardware (I recall there are some odd software solutions
though...
Check for this at the list archives).

> - a usb audio capture device: M-audio Audiophile

I'm using the Audiophile USB with a ThinkPad. Have been doing gigs with it
and it's a fine set-up as long as you are not monitoring/playing directly
through the software, as the latency in USB audio is too big. My own
solution to this problem is to split my instrument signal and run one
direct
line into the house PA and another line into the USB/laptop.

I think you should also take a look at the Audiophile Quattro. Think about
what you want to do and maybe this device will serve you better?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/quattro.php

> - a Midi footcontroller: maybe the Behringer everybody's talking about

Good choice! I guess I'm one of those "who talk about the Behringer". I'm
very satisfied with my FC1010.

> - a behringer mixer

Got one of those as well. But I stopped using it since I hate the sound of
it. It's small, cute and well designed, though ;-)

> - a Zoom RT-123 drum machine (with only Midi-In)
My Grovebox does'n have a midi though so I put it last in the midi chain.

> - my girlfriend's Yamaha P-80 piano (with midi in, out and thru)
Got one of those too... But don't know about that piano ;-)

--
Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se