Re: a general question

thank you, all that answered, for your answers.  particularly to mike and
steve for their in-depth replies.   i think i learned some of what i wanted
to know.   i think that the total "tweeker" percentage of this list is
somewhat smaller than i had originally surmised.   however, i'm not
disappointed, somehow.   it seems that whether or not one is looper with
all
"1"s or "5"s, listener accessibility is still an issue.
i am constantly torn between trying to create something as innovative as
possible and trying to reach people with my art.  now that i am getting
more
proficient with the bouzouki, i find avenues opening for me that were
closed
with the guitar.   the exotic nature of the instrument lowers the incidence
of preconceived notions on the part of the listener, and i am able to do
more of what i want to do without confusing everyone.   the best response
that i get is from my most traditional project, which features bouzouki and
dulcimer on plate, no frills, nothing fancy.
at the same time, i'm doing "live vocal capture, manipulation, and remix"
with a poet named skip fox.  this is a much older guy talking about death
and madness and nature.   my buddy and i twist his voice up on loopers and
delays and what comes out definitely does not NOT have a good beat and you
CANNOT dance to it.   i feel so much more creative and artistically
powerful
when i'm working on this project.   if i ever make a penny on it, i will be
the most surprised man on the face of this earth.   more importantly, i
once
heard art described as necessarily having an element of communication.   i
am sure that i will only be communicating with a very limited number of
people out there with my favorite but troubled work.
how this all comes back to looping is i have begun to wonder if my
different
projects are defined by more than just the medium that i am working in.   i
have what i consider are my "electronic dance" project, my "acoustic"
project, and my "poetry remix" project.  i'm beginning to wonder if i
should
even bother to try to mix these elements at all. ars gratis ars. loop
gratis
loop. i should only bother to put out the tip jar for the bouzouki
jamboree.
i should loop for myself and grow hair on my palms.
mike barrs mentioned mainly being compelled to put the looper in a
traditional context.   i wish that was what the looper wanted me to do with
it.   i starting to make money with a few hundred dollars of string and
wood
and i have five grand sunk in crap that will never sell an album.
ah well, the rant sets in.  thank you again for your responses, they were
invariably varied.
lance