Re: HuMaNiZiNg cold DRUM MACHINES

On 03-12-12 09.29,  "Louie Angulo" <laab2000us@yahoo.com> wrote:
.
> so i would like your
> opinions,techniques,recomendations is a sampler better
> than a groove box ? or a drum machine? Which ones
> work well with the EDP and how do you employ them
> live?
> Louie

Occasionally I've been using a groove box (MC-303) and this is a good
alternative. I used to keep it on a mix fader to fade in now and then. On
the box you can easily punch in and out different drum sounds to create
variation. If you run the EDP as midi clock master you can also change
program to one with another 8th/cycle setting and this will have the groove
box play in another tempo while the EDP is staying the same.

Another cool alternative is to keep a microphone and punch in doing vocal
beat boxing when you need a groove. Takes some practice though. Now I tend
to like this more than the groove box. Besides, a groove box is very heavy
to drag around.

A third alternative I have also been using is to put a computer as a midi
clock slave and use some software for beats. One especially cool thing I
discovered once was to run Logic with a autofilter plug-in. That
auto-filter
had its cut-off parameter side-chained from an audio input fed from my live
guitar playing. I had some Burundi Drummers loops going on the laptop and
the harder I hit a string on the guitar the more treble was let through
that
filter. So the drummers got sharper when I played harder.

Another nice software to bring grooves into a loop performance is Ableton
Live. The good thing is that this program can play audio loops in just
about
any tempo - like the Repeater. I can go down from 200 BPM to 10 BPM and the
laptop will follow my EDP. But I think the Repeater still sounds better on
those trashed out slow motion beats. But the Live software can apply lots
of
interesting plug-ins which is yet another universe to explore.

--
Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se