RE: Even More out of tune

Title: RE: Even More out of tune

>>i feel that diatonic music is limited by the integer-multiple overtone
series. there are only so many ways to string 7 (or 12, if you're into
tone rows and that sort of thing) notes together, and every time i try
to write a melody, i'm reminded of that.

i personally am not interested in using non-diatonic-based tunings in
my music, because i don't feel that an appropriate enough combination
of interface, instrument, and price point exists yet to make me
interested in it. i'm not a guitarist, i'm a keyboardist. when i think
about Wendy's Alpha scale it makes my head spin.<<

I've tried experimenting with different scales- the emu modules are particularly well-equipped for this kind of adventure- but I can't get past the fact that, to me anyway, it just sounds horrible.

I don't play music because I like the maths, I play music because I like the noise. for me, there are twelve notes and you can only use certain combinations of them together at one time. usually about seven of the twelve.

somethimes the same notes sound a bit different, e.g. if you have a guitar and a trumpet playing together. even single notes that are in tune have all these clashing harmonics that make it sound out of tune. I know the physics, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

anyway, that's about as much dissonance as I can tolerate unless it's actually one's intention to make an awful noise, like with a ring modulator or a dx7, say.....

I'll get me coat again.

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe