Re: oberheim matrix1000 - opinions

On 04-02-02 17.20,  "JAMES FOWLER, III" <jimfowler@prodigy.net> wrote:

> i'm on the fence regarding which synth to buy...either the emu vintage
>pro or
> the ANALOG!!! oberheim matrix 1000.  anybody wanna try and convince me
>one way
> or the other?
>
> -jim

Hi Jim,

I'm not quite sure about exactly what type of advice you are after here,
but
as for sound I have to say that I'm still very happy with my Matrix-1000
after using it for 12 years. I have run it from a midi guitar with each
voice (it has 6 voices) playing over its dedicated midi channel and the
guitar sending each string assigned to a midi channel of its own. The idea
about such an unusual mode is to allow each string to send different pitch
bend data and it's working pretty well. But I finally skipped over the
entire "midi guitar chapter" since I never learned to play it as well as a
normally sounding guitar. Today I use the Oberheim as a quick sound source
when crating music with Logic and I keep it patched into my soundcard,
together with a Really Nice Compressor, to record it as sound files on the
fly. I find it a very good complement to the digital virtual instruments
available today. It has a nice character and is easily recognizable in a
mix, be it tweaked by Alex Patterson or William Orbit. Very inspiring
sounds
I would say and I don't miss the ability to program new sounds on the unit.
Although I can do that from Logic with a certain environment I tend to find
it more creative as a "Oberheim Synth Sound Library".

The EMU vintage I do not own, but I have had the EMU 1 for 13 (?) years.
Never use it today. If you want some of those vintage sounds you might as
well download some soundfonts from the Internet, I would say ;-)

Best regards

Per Boysen
--
http://www.boysen.se