Re: Even More out of tune

I'm not getting all of my email messages (isp/virus problem),  so I
didn't see the other responses.

Some comments:

asterion@hell.com wrote:

> At 11:43 AM -0800 2/7/04, S V G wrote:
>
>> The EMU line of sound modules does provide good user definable tuning
>> tables IF you know what you're looking for.  Kurzweil provides a
>> different kind of tuning table, a bit easier to get around on, though
>> octaves are automatically set to be in tune with each other.
>

> Different manufacturers approach tuning in different ways, most of
> which are limited. Aside from resolution issues are matters of whether
> an instrument offers full keyboard tuning (each key separately
> tuneable, not just repeating octave patterns) and whether a full
> keyboard tuning permits a full range of tuning per key (some
> instruments restrict the tuning to a small range above and below the
> nominal pitch of the key).

I have a Proteus/2 and AFAIK all of later EMU synths are still based
on the same technology.

Yes you can tune each key/note, but the tuning resolution isn't
very good. It's too bad, a fine sounding synth.

> Some Korg instruments seem better than most.

Very nice for tuning. I have a 05R/W that I've had for years
that I'm using to write a string qt. I also have a MS2000R
that sounds amazing, except since it's an analog modeling
synth, they made it 4 voice!

>On Feb 6, 2004, at 2:26 PM, asterion@hell.com wrote:
>> At 1:12 PM +0000 2/6/04, goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:
>>
>> i personally am not interested in using non-diatonic-based tunings
>>
>> Please be aware that "diatonic" has no particular relationship to
>> "tuning."
>>
>> A diatonic scale is simply a set of seven pitches spanning an octave
>> and corresponding to the white keys on a piano (i.e. a pattern of
>> semitones 2-2-1-2-2-2-1). You can start the scale pattern on any of
>> its notes and you can transpose the scale to any of the 12 chronatic
>> tones. The tuning of the pitches themselves is arbitrary. Therefore
>> you can have diatonic scales in a variety of tunings, though most of
>> the time when people say "diatonic" they imply "twelve-tone
>> equal-tempered" tuning.

Diatonic refers to a major scale/harmony.

Suit and Tie Guy wrote:

>i guess in my original response to someone's response to my response to
>someone's post, i should have further clarified by qualified "diatonic"
>with "western diatonic", or "plucked string overtone derived diatonic
>tuning/harmony systems". both of which imply a equal-tempered,
>well-tempered, just, pothagoryan, or other (say, Werckmeister) classic
>European tuning system.

You've got it backwards: just intonation and pythagorean tuning
systems are from the naturally ocuring harmonic series, the others
are adjustments to it so that there can be harmonic movement and
modulation.

> plucked string overtone derived

The harmonic series.

>i do believe there is a significant amount of _consonant_ musical
>exploration to be had in non-equal tuning systems.

Me too.

>next time i host/play a Robert Rich show i should talk his ear off
>about _that_.

When I met him at NAMM two years ago and later opened for him at the NYC
Knitting Factory,
we barely talked about it.

BTW: here's a link to a tuning dictonary
<http://tonalsoft.com/enc/index.htm>

--
* David Beardsley
* microtonal guitar