The Ambient Ping presents The Anti-Gravity Machine

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday February 10th - The Anti-Gravity Machine

The first set will be four little concerts featuring the members:
REBECCA CAMPBELL - vocals / samples (the sweetest noise,
 Jane Siberry, Fat Man Waving) http://www.rebeccacampbell.com
MICHEAL KEITH - guitars / loops / samples (MCF, quasiMODAL,
 Planet Of The Loops) http://www.michaelkeith.com
ROBIN EASTON - turntables / samples (Boogie Wall Soundsystem,
 The Liquidaires) http://www.liquidaires.com/content/bios/easton.asp
GEORDIE HALEY - guitars / samples  (guitar bonsai,
 Out Of Order, The Everytime Band).

In the second set The Anti-Gravity Machine will join forces
intending to "transport the audience to new heights of
mesmerization without fossil fuel, by generating energy
from the very air we breathe and the music we make, calling
on the rumored transportation devices of ancient vedic and
atlantis peoples we hope to generate new, non-toxic ways
of being on our one and only planet. Plus it's fun!"

Between Sets CD - "Sylvatica" by Sara Ayers (Dark Wood)
A classic album of enigmatic soundscapes filled with loops and
layers of Ayers' haunting voice - like the songs of falling angels.
http://www.saraayers.com

Coming February 17th - John Kameel Farah and Nik Beeson
http://www.johnfarah.com   http://www.nikbeeson.com

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

Elegant and magical, Sahra Featherstone's self-titled release is
a blissful journey through worlds of wonder & delight. Considered to
be one of Canada's premier harpists, Sahra presents a combination
of both traditional & contemporary pieces displaying her formidable
talents, all of which blend together to create a thoroughly enjoyable
listening experience.

Opening with one of her own pieces, Joshua's Song, the listener is
introduced to Sahra's mastery of the harp. Paired with minimal bass
and guitar, the tones of the harp stand out as a distinct & emotional
voice, resonating with a wonder all of it's own. A perfect beginning.

Clergyman's Lament pairs cello and violin with the harp, creating
one of the most beautiful works I've ever heard. The sense of loss,
the sense of sadness in this piece is overwhelming in it's emotion
and between you and I, it kinda brought tears to my eyes the
first time I heard it. It's really that good. I mean really, it would
have to be for me to admit to that. In contrast Funky Butterfly
follows with a more playful sensibility, fingers dancing around
the harp, a sense of optimism, hope, better futures inherent
in the piece. Can't figure out why but this song has a strong
sense of courtship, a feeling of first kisses and the revealing
of secret smiles. Simply charming.

L'Aube Dans les Yeux is another of Sahra's own songs,
this time finding her accompanied by violin and guitar.
I quite enjoy this one, it has a sense of environment and
location that I find quite calming, relaxing. I imagine green
rolling fields, a breeze lightly blowing through the leaves
of majestic trees. Bliss.

I particularly like King of the Fairies, a lively song building
in tempo throughout it's course. Performed as a solo piece
for harp it sets toes a-tappin' and heads a-bobbin' and I
can only imagine what it would sound like in a live setting
with a full band.

So can you tell that I really Really REALLY like this disc?
Sahra Featherstone has tapped into a particular magic with
this disc, a beguiling quality that celebrates the wonders
of life and the beauty of the world around us. It touches
the soul and inspires the heart.  It brings smiles and tears
and it gets the toes tappin'. What more could you ask for?

Sahra Featherstone's self-titled release is now available
at ping things at http://www.pingthings.com

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

Steve Roach is currently the Featured Artist at ping things.
Visit http://www.pingthings.com/PTfeaturesNF.htm to read
an exclusive interview with this master of the ambient genre.

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the *ping things* ambient/experimental CD boutique.

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances