Echoplex - Overdub fails

I'm a Newbie with a new Echoplex (which I love).
Suddenly it will no longer overdub.
The loop repeats and OVD goes red but nothing's being recorded over.
Then when I hit OVD again the light goes green and it starts
overdubbing. Seems backwards to me.
A Second question: what's the easiest way?
Say I wanted four loops and wanted an original rhythmic pattern from
first loop to be repeated into the next three. I've tried with
LoopCopy but it continues on subsequent passes to copy onto following
loops. I really just want the first pass to be repeated. Is passing
though all four loops (perhaps with NextLoop & Multiply) necessary
before I start layering (not-for-copy) layers on top?
Thanks for the help.  FYI -  I'm an a cappella vocalist.