Recording on a Powerbook

After years of being a Windows users, I'm jumping ship and getting a Mac; a
15" PowerBook.  One of my primary uses it to record digital audio.  I'm
looking for suggestions on how to connect a mic / guitar to the laptop.

While four inputs would be nice, I could get by with two.  The most I'd
like
to spend is around $500.  One store I stopped in really pushed Digidesign's
Mbox.  They said in addition to having quality hardware, the included
software was great.

So, is the Mbox the way to go or is there something else I should be
considering?

Thanks,
LeonD