Re: RC 20 or Boomerang

Boomerang owner checking in....

I haven't tried the RC-20 yet, but from what I read it seems that the
Boomerang requires less "twiddling" in a live setting. The Boomerang's
sound
quality is pretty good, although I feel the playback is a little speck more
"tinny" than the original signal.

The 'Rang is very easy to use in actual practice, and becomes intuitive
very
quickly. It has no quantizing function so you have to be dead-on when
recording your first loop, but I find that to be very easy to get used to.
After the first loop, it's just a matter of stacking when and where you
want.

You can set loops to be infinite, or to varying degrees of decay. People
have complained about noise, but I find that it is very easy to adjust for
different input levels with the gain switch & pot on the back of the unit.
When this is set correctly (and it's not hard to do), then there is little
concern for noise.

It's built like a tank, and the foot switches are far enough apart that you
won't step on two by mistake. The 'Rang provides both an "A" and "B" loop,
which is nice for variation in a live setting. Programming it is a little
weird. Each foot switch has an LED over it and you program it by setting
the
lights to be either bright, dim, or off. It reminds me of programming an
ancient computer I used to have, where a digital word was set by flipping
switches. This is fairly well explained in the manual, but you will
probably
want to write your settings down on a chart that you can refer to.

Overall I'm pleased with the Boomerang but I would expect a better digital
readout for the money spent. Looking at the state of LEDs works but is
non-intuitive. When I use it live, it's a real show-stopper, and I find
that
with its simple layout there is a minimal "break" with the audience when
dealing with the hardware. Some equipment really requires a lot of tweaking
and bending over, but the 'Rang minimizes that.

Sorry if I'm rambling here. I'm currently fielding phone calls as I write
this.

Brian