Re: Hardware Loopers--Tools or Collector's items?

At 07:33 AM 3/11/2004, Art Simon wrote:
>I realize now that my post came off a bit as a troll, and I wish I had
>been more articulate. Eric and Andre make some excellent points, but I've
>been thinking about this a lot, and I still think hardware loopers may be
>on the way out.

I wouldn't be quite so tough on yourself.  Asking tough questions doesn't
necessarily make you a troll, especially given the level of sincerity
evident behind the question.

I think you do have a point, that hardware loopers may soon be replaced to
a great extent with software (although the current synth market bears out
that there will always be some demand for hardware, despite
software).  This is especially poignant given Matthias' admission that the
Loop IV software is being ported to the SoundArts Chameleon.  Also, Muse
Research is just now releasing a piece of hardware (the Receptor) which
should run just about any Windows-based VST/VSTi.

So, even if we accept that nobody's gotten this 'looping in software'
thing
down just yet, *somebody* is going to get it right eventually.

Conversely, I've got one overarching reason why I'm not considering
selling
my Repeater (besides the fact that I think it's just too cool).  Simply:
computers crash.  The Repeater allows me to store loops onto its CFC
card.  So, in case of emergency, I can load some loops back into the
Repeater, then do simple improv over the top of them while the computer
reboots.  The audience, with any luck, doesn't have to wait for me to work
out my technical glitches (and, indeed, may not even know there's a
problem
-- unless my laptop dies screaming).

In summary, I find that hardware loopers and computers complement each
other quite nicely....

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil