Re: Hardware Loopers--Tools or Collector's items?

On 04-03-13 00.42,  "David Kirkdorffer" <vze2ncsr@verizon.net> wrote:

> Re: Hardware Loopers--Tools or Collector's items?During a performance, I
>think
> the crucial element -- regardless of a person performing with a computer
> laptop or fender telecaster -- is being able to respond to a musical
>situation
> in real-time.   And that comes from developing at least two
>capabilities: 1)
> being sensitive "musical moments" and 2) being able to adapt from "plan"
> respond accordingly.
>
> As to a failed hard-drive, I agree.  But an amplifier blowing a fuse is
> similar.
>
> David

Or a guitar string snapping off! On my Stratocaster with the tremolo bar
trimmed to a floating position this makes all tonal playing impossible. If
this should happen to me during a live looping gig I might pick up another
instrument, since I usually bring at least two. Well, on some gigs I use
only a tenor sax with loopers... Oops, I just remembered I did one with a
blues harp and mic last summer. But anyway, those "sound sources" never
malfunction the way a guitar with a floating trem system can do.

And as for hard drive breakdowns, I don't always bring a laptop but I find
it pretty save with the RME Multiface audio interface. It has this virtual
mixer, "Totalmix", that will work as long as Windows XP (or OSX if using a
mac) is active in the machine. So even if loops in Ableton Live refuse to
play because of drive errors the RME break-out box will still be functional
as a mixer and patchbay for the EDP (and maybe Repeater... I tend to leave
it behind more often these days).

I'm always checking out a catastrophe plan before each gig. Usually I mark
up with gaffa tape the inputs on the stage box or stage mixer where my
stuff
goes into the house PA. So I always have this "last emergency workaround"
disconnect my EDP from my rig and plug its audio output into the house PA.
usually mark up cables as well.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
--