newbie pitch-shifting gear question

Hi All,

this is my first post.
I have some questions about gear, but I'd like to give a bit of back-story.
I'm a loop/sample nut.
I started on the casio sk-1, and then bought all those old digitech pedals
and so forth back in the day.
I now own a load delays and other gear.

Now with those old digitech sampling pedals from 1989 (and their "time machine" rack mount line),
you could sample/loop while changing the recording speed by simply rotating the "delay time" knob.
You end up with this twisted loop with the sound recorded with a fast delay time setting being all slow and low pitched,
and the stuff recorded with the long delay playing back very fast and high pitched...
and most important... that transition between the two pitches being smooth.
I absolutely love doing this.
I've searched high and low for other gadgets that do this for any length of time, and haven't really found any.

The closest I've come to finding this is the "boomerang" and new "line six stomp box" (does the rack mount do it?).
In the case of the both cases, you can only shift between one octave or the other, and reverse. Very cool, but I loved those "sweeping time sampling" that I got from the old digitechs.

I do own a time machine, but the sample rez is low... so I'm looking for something that is higher rez, maybe does reverse as well, with a good amount of sampling time and ease of use for live input and instant playback... and maybe even save and recall the sample. I'd like to try to keep away from tape as well... I love it, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Any clues?
Any info is much appreciated

thanks

Jim Ellis