Re: MOTU 828mkII

Hi Mark,
Italian Motu distributor asked me to check its stand alone mixing
capability.
It's a very good box !
Imagine you have a matrix where you can assign each stereo ins (max 3
stereo couples)  a buss send.
Then you can assign an output stereo couple as buss "receive".
The set up I used to test it was:

Analog ins:

    * 1-dry input (from preamp)
    * 2-
    * 3-Orville A L.
    * 4-Orville A R.
    * 5-Orville B L.
    * 6-Orville B R.
    * 8-Echoplex

Digital In:
Spdif -  Fireworx (44,1 kHz)

Analog Out :

    * 1-
    * 2-
    * 3-Orville A L.
    * 4-Orville A R.
    * 5-Orville B L.
    * 6-Orville B R.
    * 7-
    * 8-Echoplex

Digital Out:
Spdif -  Fireworx (44,1 kHz)

Master Analog Output  to desk

Busses were set this way:

   1. Buss 1 ( Analog Out 3-4 to Orville A ins): Analog In 1
   2. Buss 2 ( Analog Out 5-6 to Orville B ins): Analog In 1
   3. Buss 3 ( Analog Out 8* to Edp in ): Analog In 3-4-5-6
   4. Buss 4 (Master Out to desk ins): Analog In 3-4-5-6-8 Spdif In

Audio quality is excellent and signal monitoring very good.
Currently its limits for a deeper use are:
-it doesn't consider mono Busses
-it doesn't allow to change mix "scenes" via midi
-it doesn't allow to assign more outputs to the same buss
All these things could be part of its next software release as they
aren't hardware limitations, if Motu wants to load it of standalone
mixing flexibility.

As I remember it's no more than 25 cm. deep.

Good luck,
luca
www.unguitar.com