Re: New member.

Op vrijdag 16 april 2004 15:42, schreef Krispen Hartung:
> Hi Luther -
>
> This is very cool and hip. I play the sitar as well, here in Boise,
> Idaho (USA).  I am primarily a guitarist, but I pick up my sitar once in
> a while at a gig and also use my Boomerang looper. I typically start a
> drone on the guitar, add some ethereal overlay, then I sit down and
> improvise with the sitar. I also play the tablas and loop those with my
> guitar once in a while.

Sounds interesting.

>Basically, I run the sitar, guitar, and tablas
> through my mixer, then I run my boomerang through one of the effect
> loops, running the output of the Boomerang to one of the channels, thus
> putting the entire mix through the loop. It works very well.  In the
> studio, I also use an Indian program called SwarShala. It allows you to
> create sequences from real tanpura, tabla, etc samples
> http://www.swarsystems.com/SwarShala/Home.htm

I know swarsystems, it's a nice program.
i only use the samples, with my sampler i can make talas myself.
It sounds very good.

> I've always thought it would be fun to play the sitar over some hip-hop
> rhythms and the tanpura droning in the background.  The problem for me
> is that I have back and leg problems, and I can't play the sitar for
> very long without getting nerve pains in my hip. I even tried making a
> stand where I can play the sitar standing up, but it is still awkard.

I know the problem, I practice mosly siting on a bench, because if I play
too
much sitting down, I get problems too. My teacher can mold his legs in
every
position, but he started playing when he was three years old.

> By the way, where did you get your sitar? I bought mine from Buckingham
> Music. http://www.buckinghammusic.com/

In a shop just around the corner in my hometown  :-))
i live in the Hague, there are many Indian shops, because it's the Dutch
city
with the largest hindu-community.

> I attached an MP3 that would be cool to use as a background for some
> sitar improvisation. I never got around to using it on my new CD.

Wow, it sounds awesome. That tampura-sound is great.

> Cheers,
>
> Kris
>
> P.s. I saw Second Vision in Amsterdam last year at the Bim Huis, and the
> guitarist was using some sitar-like sound on his guitar. That could be
> what I end up doing to get past my back problems.

I saw a photo on your site,
it's taken in Amsterdam, right?

gr.
Luther