Re: DD-20 continued

Just a note on the DD-20/RC-20 thang,

I've appreciated all of the posts. Thanks! With help, I have
finally gotten the unit fairly well sussed. It's a much cooler
device now that I fully understand it. Wow! In fact, after
bringing home the RC-20 the other day I was less satisfied
with my purchase than I was with the DD-20 I bought last
month. So, you know what I did? I took the RC back and got
another DD and $47 in change (the difference in the
prices of the 2 units) back in the bargain.

The nice thing about the DD is that you can set up some of
the patches to fade away gradually. Although I spend a good
deal of time in "Manual" using the SOS (Sound on Sound) Mode
where nothing ever fades from the loop, you can step through
to other delays that WILL gradually fade away. This makes for
nice segues/transitions and endings without having to resort
to another volume pedal in the signal chain. And, since I have
2 of them now it's even more seamless . . . and fun.

So far, in answer to one question, I don't think that you can
"toggle" between 2 memory locations or step backwards but
must step forward through them all (in order) if the one you
want is not adjacent to the one you're in. I'm still no expert yet
though.

Also, starting with the "Manual" setting location (and BTW you
CAN actually save the timing info on THAT as well so it stars
up at the same timing setting at each powerup), you are not
only able to save just the timing info at each of the 4 memory
slots but the "type" of delay as well. The box has eleven of
these that you select with a rotary knob in "manual" mode -- and
with the exception of the SOS mode you can save all of the
types (including Reverse Delay) to the memory slots so that
they are instantly accessible by footswitch.

Another point. I think you CAN start at memory slot 4 and step
back to the beginning at "Manual" and still have slot 4's delays
playing themselves out to over whatever new bit you play into
the "manual" slot. I'll check, but I'm sure it's something I did
just yesterday when I was figuring the thing out.

All-in-all, I think it's a much better unit than the DL4 it replaces
in my gear collection. And, while the RC-20 had a whopping 5
minutes of delay memory and some other neat capabilities,
I didn't find it all that useful in practice. If I wanted to save
prerecorded loops I already have an SP-303 for that over in
the other corner, attached to my other "mondo humongus"
rack rig. I can just "borrow" that (from myself) whenever.
If I wanted  to match tempos with another musician or sound
source there is a tap tempo button on the DD-20 too . . . and
while that doesn't change the tempo of a loop already playing
like the RC does (without changing pitch). I'm fairly competent
at matching rhythms on the fly anyway so I'm not worried.

Thanks again for keeping the thread going 'til some answers
surfaced. I like to think of myself as reasonably competent,
intelligent and experienced. So when it happens that I was
having trouble figuring out a simple . . . well maybe not so
simple . . . stomp box delay pedal I felt a bit embarrassed.
It just goes to show that the only stupid question is the one
you don't ask.

Cheers,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html