itching dissatisfaction (Vox modeler and modelers in general)

Hmmmm.  I know I often "obsess" to get a certain tone, but a lot of
times I think what I'm trying to buy isn't more gear, but more time to
play the gear I have.  I've been working on that one a lot the last few
years.

However, lately I've been freaking out about not being able to get this
certain "quack" out of the Vox Tonelab modeler I've been using.  I was
loosing sleep about it.  Seriously.  Perviously I talked about using
the "amp" out settings and dialing in more treble to get a good tone,
but this didn't seem to do the trick on the "high gain" sounds, but
worked well for crunchy Vox and Fender sounds.  I could get close to
the sound I wanted using the line out mode, but with all this high
frequency sound that really killed it for me.  I spent some time with
Digital Performer's perimetric EQ and realized that while most guitar
cabs don't produce much over 5khz, the Vox was spitting out stuff well
into the 15mhz realm.  Slapping a $70 DOD stereo graphic EQ after the
Tonelab did the trick.  So, I had to spend a little more, but it's
worth it.  I didn't like the "feel" of the Pods much either, although
their sound seemed good.  The Tonelab seems to capture that stomp box
and tube amp sound AND feel better than anything I've tried... but with
this weird high frequency issue.  I wrote Vox scolding them for it, so
maybe it will be addressed in a future update.  I hope so.  WTF were
they thinking?  Didn't anyone bother to put a scope on this thing?

Still, it's got an 8 sec looper that acts like a Digitech PDS-8000.
Now that's fun.

Mark