RE: Hughes and Kettner Replex

Hi All,

Can anybody put their two cents in here on the following dialog between me and the US Distributor of Hughes and Kettner?  I recently purchased a used H&K Replex locally.  My description of it's behavior is in the following text.

I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm the distributor's sentiments that the Replex IS acting like a normal tape delay would.  Anybody with first hand experience with an actual Echoplex tape delay, and/or a Replex?

My recent agitation/GAS about a manipulatable delay pedal that 'feels' right continues.  I'm just kind of sick of the feel of my DL4, and I thought the Replex would be the shiznit.  Uhhhh.....no.  Another knock on the head that 'modelling' doesn't mean 'real'.  Yesterday, I took a long lunch and tried out the Ibanez Delay/Echo that was recommended on list.  Nice!  Also tried out the EH Memory Man (suggested as 'boring' on list....confirmed IMO), and the Maxon AD999 Analog Delay.  Man....I realized how nice that darn pedal feels.  Soft, spongy delays that feel....well....musical.  Self-oscillation that reacts to turning the knob the way your car reacts to turning the steering wheel...predictable but edgy...like if you gave it a good whack you were going for a spin, but if you played on the edge, you could get a hair or two to move on the back of your neck without losing your life in the deal.  Big empty parking lot, iced over, rear-wheel drive car with judiscous use of the parking brake kinda feel, ya know?

Anyway...sorry for the long post.  Any feedback regarding the Replex is appreciated.  It SOUNDS great.  I was just hoping to make some god-awful noise with it!

best regards,

Rich