Re: Dual Echo Pros for Stereo Looping, First Impressions...

On Jul 22, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Mech wrote:

> At 05:34 PM 7/22/2004, msottilaro wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't call them stereo though as that really denotes a dual
>> channel that is perfectly synced.  Fun none the less though.
>
> Fair enough; I can see your viewpoint, if that's the criteria by which
> you're measuring.  However, I think you might run into more
> contradictions with that definition than you think if you really look
> closely at the DSP functions inside some of the "stereo" effects we
> routinely use.  Heck, you could even make the case on your home
> stereo, for instance, that having an extra wad of cable attached to
> your left speaker would add enough latency on one channel to strictly
> go afoul that definition.

Right, adding some extra cable or placing speakers far from each other
will screw with the stereo separation but in a totally predictable non
changing way.  One speaker will be a few milliseconds off, but that
time shift would not change.  In my world that's still synced.

> Still, I see the point.  My original mission here was to preserve the
> stereo spread as best as possible from the synth into the looper,
> using the equipment at hand.  The Echo Pro itself makes a complete
> hash of that one aspect, but does sound good otherwise.  So how can we
> play to its strengths and minimize its weaknesses?  This was the best
> way I could think of to do so.

Exactly, all that really matters is that you can have fun and make good
music with your tools.  If you find a "bug" that you can turn into a
feature, all the better.

Mark