16-second loopers

I've been on and off this list for years, as my looping interest waxes
and wanes -- usually I lurk, but I have a question that doesn't seem to
have been addressed in the archive; so here:

I've had all of the "major" units (none now, though) -- EDP, Jamman,
Boomerang -- so i have an idea how the tap to record, tap again to loop
system works. But I've never used the sort of looper that you have to
pre-define the length before you start. I'm kind of interested in those
these days, either the EH reissue thing or the Maneco variations. So
tell me, how do they work in practice? How do you know how fast to
play, when the loop is going to kick in? (Do they send a click or
something? Flashing lights?) Or do I misunderstand how they work
altogether?

After that, I'm interested in how that approach works for people. (I
realize, at least with the EDP, that you can do it this way too.)

Thanks.