Re: kim's post, yadda yadda yadda

On Aug 3, 2004, at 4:31 AM, loop.pool wrote:

> Fry's had a deal last week on a
> P4 1.8 mghz PC with 512 megs of RAM, a 40 gig harddrive and a CD/RW
> burner/DVD player
> for $399.
>
> Tell me that Macs are cheaper than PCs.

Will that machine do audio well?  According to your previous posts
about your problems, probably not.  I bought a really nice toaster oven
the other day for $100.  It's also cheaper than a Mac, but doesn't work
well doing digital audio.

> Now, Mark.........................let's be honest:
>
> what do extra hardrives and CD burners and printers and scanners cost
> for
> Macs?what do they cost for PCs?   There is no denying that PCs are
> cheaper so
> let's call a spade a spade.

Let's call a spade a spade.  Macs now use IDE perfs as well as USB.
They cost *exactly the same* for both platforms.  I have no idea what
you're talking about chum.  I think you're thinking of 1995 when Macs
used SCSI and ADB.

> I totally get that Macs are easier to run out of the box, but if you
> are
> comparing buying
> used Macs and used 828s then you have to apply the same standards to
> used
> PCs where the prices are even cheaper (except for the break out boxes).

Read Rick.  One word after the other.  You know, like drums.  Te te, te
te, ta.  The link I offered was for a brand new (although discontinued
but still viable) G4 as well as the best price I could find with the
828mkII

> I really don't want to be coming off as being down on the
> Macs.................I just get a little sick and tired of the
> superiority
> that a lot of Mac users exhibit towards Windows users.

I'm a lot sick of PC users complaining about how they can't figure out
what to buy or getting what they bought to work.  Let's be sick
together!

> We all do the best we can with the tools that we have and afford.
> It's
> easy to sit high and mighty; judging other's below your economic
> status for
> their compromises when you have a really nice salary, but not everyone
> is
> where you are at financially, Mark (and I know that you aren't even in
> the
> upper middle class in your economic bracket)

I don't no, I was making music on a Mac when I was in college making
$5000 a year working part time in a sock store.  That wasn't so long
ago.  I didn't have the software selection that PC users did, but I
honestly had no choice going into graphics.  There are still issues
with color proofing on the PC that makes it unusable for what I do.

> I have tried, over and over, in this discussion to give respect and to
> praise the benefits of the wonderful Mac OS X.
> It would be nice for someone from that camp (and I NEVER hear it from
> them)
> that there might be some reasons why people chose the PC.

Why?  PCs don't seem to have trouble flying off the shelf.  Everyone
knows they do simply because they're cheap.

> Stratocasters versus Les Pauls.    They can both be great and we use
> what
> tools we have to be creative.
> Les Pauls are horribly overpriced but they do incredible things (things
> Stratocasters can't do).  Should I put someone down for using one if
> they
> can afford it?   Was Hendrix fucked for using one (and supporting the
> economic status quo for doing it?).

I don't even think that argument applies.  We're talking about
platforms for computers.

> It should really be about what we create, I think.

Me too.

Mark