Re: Off Topic? I'll give you Off Topic!!

I play regularly at several Starbucks in my area, and they're always
enjoyable cafe gigs from a gigging standpoint, and I'm happy to play any
that I find that are willing to book me.  Only the "flagship" SB stores
have music (>100 seating capacity), so there's sufficient distance between
you and the noisy machines.  There's always people there, and in my
experience they tend to tip and clap on fairly regular basis.  I've found
them easy and reliable in their booking (usually handled by a manager and
they're always easy to reach on the phone), and the staff is always more
than willing to help set up the performance area, help move gear around,
and happy to have a break from the store music CDs.  There's always
parking and almost always wi-fi.  And sometimes they even pay you to play.

That said, the only difference between them and the Tully's that I play
twice a month is that I'm a little closer to the steamer than optimal, but
the staff and venue are equally pleasant.  The independent coffeehouses I
play are physically a little smaller, so there can be a bit of a noise
problem, and I'm more likely to encounter amateurish booking situations.
I can only think of one place offhand that was a shitty experience, and I
just didn't go back there.

I also used to play every Borders I could find within a three-hour drive,
and up until mid 2000 they always paid performers.  If you were local it
was never less than $50 (sometimes cash, sometimes a gift certificate) and
free drinks/food.  Getting the employee discount on whatever you bought
with your gift certificate was also fairly common.  With both Borders and
Starbucks, the first question from the booking agent was always "Have you
played at one of these before?" and if the answer was yes, then the
calendar usually appeared right away.  Then a few years back there was
some sort of shakeup, they stopped booking much local music, cut the pay,
wouldn't let you sell CDs yourself, and had this ridiculously large
contract with all this crap about offensive lyrics, one-volume-warning and
then you're out, and so on.  Borders booking was also handled by their
community affairs person who seemed to turn over every 4-6 months, so it
could be a bit of a struggle on repeat bookings.  You had to quickly
convince the new person that you were bona fide, but it wasn't much of a
stuggle.

TravisH

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:17:40 -0700
From: msottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net>

True, they are amazingly evil and actually effect us as performers on
some level.  I know Gary likes to perform at Starbucks, but how many of
us rely on Starbucks for a regular gig?  Also, Boarders paying
musicians?  I played there several times and was never offered a cent.

Mark