Re: looping great passes away

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suit & Tie Guy" <erwill@suitandtieguy.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: looping great passes away

> On Aug 8, 2004, at 2:09 PM, loop.pool wrote:
> > Yeah,   Issaac Hayes....................................superb
> > Boomerang
> > user in his day          (<========= humor>
>
> funny you'd mention that. i play 3 Isaac Hayes tunes in my set ("Do
> Your Thing", "Hung Up On My Baby", and "Shaft") and use two of them
> (the ones which aren't Shaft) as loop showcases á la "God's Monkey" (on
> Sylvian/Fripp's live album). I sing "Do Your Thing" and "Shaft".
>
> also, anyone who wants to learn how to make bad ass lock-tight groove
> sequences should head over to Emusic.com and buy every Isaac Hayes
> album.

I don't know if I'd call Isaac "bad ass lock-tight groove" though.  For the
definition of that one can turn to other sources, most notably James
Brown's
"start on the One" style.  One could also buy the collection of Charles
Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, whose "Do Your Thing" predates
Isaac Hayes' song - you might have heard it during the "80s party" scene in
"Boogie Nights"... Or perhaps additionally the irrefutable George
Clinton/Funkadelic/Parliament ongoing thang that also undoubtedly inspired
Mr. Hayes to do his stuff, though he won't most likely these days admit
such
a thing.

Stephen Goodman
*