RE: Using pre-recorded material on stage

Title: RE: Using pre-recorded material on stage

my band sometimes attempts a "recital" of an album track on stage, for the purposes of warming ourselves & the audience up, prior to getting down to the real business of improv.

but then we're a space-rock jazz electronica soundscape sort of act, so it goes with the territory.

we store approximations of the sequencer lines, which we have to work out from scratch for the older pieces by listening to the albums. this is done in such a way that they can be altered after they start playing (as indeed they do on the albums).....

so a live version of a piece will start off just-about recognisable & then go off in it's own direction.
some of the pieces start with a non-rhythmic noise section, or a chord sequence; I might use the repeater to capture a free-standing loop from the album itself & we use this as the basis for the start of the stage-version of the piece.

it's difficult to predict an audience's expectations of a live-set; my guitarist went to see one of these big-ass professional arena-filling acts recently (chili peppers, I think) &, while the bulk of the crowd was in rapture, he was wondering why he hadn't just stayed home with the cd.

I think you have to give 'em a bit of both: accurate recitals. improvisations. solos that are note-for-note the same as the album. other solos that go on for hours & are full of bum-notes & real expression. po-faced concentration. humorous interludes.

or you can just get up there & shake y'r thang & think "if they don't like it, f*ck 'em". personally, I think that's the best attitude.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe