RE: In Praise of Taking Risks with Artistry - the result is the point, not the process BUT

 true ONLY when the process is available to be witnessed...

Well said, David.  That was the experience that I had when first watching
DJ
Shadow's latest Live DVD.  I was as amazed with what he was doing, and how,
as with what he was "playing".

But isn't this "Performance"?  And aren't musicians "Performers"?  At
least,
that is what one of the music degrees used to be called.  Performance Art
is
everywhere, even in poetry, where you can hardly get up and just read
anymore.

I played a concert with a community symphony orchestra in a concert hall
one
time, where we didn't have enough percussionists (is there ever enough :)
and someone came to me after the concert who had sat in the balcony, and
said: "I just loved watching you during the concert! You had sticks in your
mouth, and seemed to have more than two arms when playing!"

Unintended Performance Art, sort of like Lord Ganesh sitting in.  Cool,
actually.

Tom