Re: dancers

Hence the "in my experience..." preface to my comments.  I'd attend
rehearsals, and more than half the time no music was used while they were
working up the pieces.  There's nothing wrong with this, it's just a
different way of working.  But, if as a musician you're expecting there to
be sync between you and the dancers, then you'd be disappointed.  For the
live music I provided, they'd usually indicate a piece of one of my
improvised CDs and say "Something in that vein..."  Sometimes I'd get
instructions for "build as we got to this point"  but nothing more
explicit.  These were not Bob Fosse pieces.

I'd put together CD-R's with the program music for these groups also, and
I'd see multiple performances, and there was no great effort expended to
match the running lengths of the pieces many times.  If the dancers
"finished" ten or twenty seconds before the music, they made do, or the
soundman would be instructed to quickly fade down the music.