AW: ORGANIC programming and looping

Rick,

you're leading us into deep philosophical territority here, and in
discussing it is hard to know where to start (and where to stop).

There are lots of thoughts in your message, like the use of statistical
effects on music (or audio signals, to keep it more general, or signals
to stay even more general), the work with serial structures (as
exemplified by many a looper (e.g. J.S. Bach) or electronica artist
(e.g. Karlheinz Stockhausen), and of course the influence of a human on
a performance (making it musical or flawed or musically flawed).

Music basically is about repetition and about static elements. This
becomes clear from listening to almost any music (and to abouth
everything I've heard from you loopers here). And this is only natural,
even if analyzed from a theoretical signal theory/entropy approach: I
remember Murray Gell-Mann talkin about the content of information in a
signal (using the example of a text if I remember correctly). You could
either use a very simple generating function like "take the letter a and
repeat it times, obtaining a clearly structured result which does not
contain very much information or in other words is boring. Or you could
take the generating function of "choose 100000 letters arbitrarily",
obtaining a completely unstructured result which again does not contain
very much information (which can be seen by the fact that the generating
function in both cases is very simple". Interesting stuff lies somewhere
in between, something like a Bach fugue or a piece by (say) Karlheinz
Stockhausen or Rick Walker.

This experience and the consequences we pull from it will not be new to
anyone here. And to come back to your example, taking "play Loop A
(length 4 bars) for 20 bars" might sound boring, while "play Loop A
(length 4 bars) through time-modulated effect A' (period 5 bars) for 20
bars" gives you both the repetitive elements about any music-listener
likes, together with 20 totally unique bars (an approach also used by
the minimal music movement).

Add to that the human performer element. As lots of us work in a
quasi-live setting for generating their performances, the looper gives
us the possibility to work with the contrast of the perfect repetition
vs. the flawed one. I recently worked with that effect consciusly by
recording a simple 4 bar bass/guitar loop and then alternating between
playing the recorded bass and guitar part, at the same time adding the
missing part "live".

And then add to that the real statistical element (although if we put
our filter or other effect devices into "random", hardly a mathematician
would agree that this is really random). Also this sounds interesting to
most ears if used properly (as you mentioned "tiny but constrained").

So what do we learn from that. For me, basically only what I already
knew: that it is necessary to use your brain to be able to make
interesting music :-)

(sorry, this message doesn't have a proper message. Count it as some
pseudophilosophical babbling or simply ignore it).

        Rainer

ps: regarding really artifical sound. I remember this recording by Jack
DeJohnette (can't remember the name of the album or piece) with this
p/b/dr trio plus big horn section (taken mostly from Carla Bley,
trumpets, french horns, trombone, tuba, flutes, bass clarinet...you name
it), all recorded in the typical ECM fashion - and on top of that a
70ies drum machine's hand clap sound! Yes, sometimes it is cool to sound
really artifical!