Re: RANDOMNESS

On Dec 3, 2004, at 20:24, Michael Peters wrote:

> maybe some people have heard my Stretched Landscape CD. (There is an
> excerpt
> at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/michaelpetersmusic.htm). The main
> ingredient of this 1-hour piece is piano chords, recorded 1986 in an
> abandoned church in Kingston on a cheap cassette recorder, and then
> three
> years ago fed into Granulab, a free granular synthesis software for
> Windows.
> My starting idea was to take these chords each of which lasts for just
> two
> or three seconds, and make them veeeerrryyy long. While trying to
> achieve
> that with granular synthesis I discovered that when doing it straight,
> it
> tends to sound cold and artificial, but when I added a tiny bit of
> random
> for the grain length and pitch, the results were shimmering golden
> clouds of
> sound that came rolling like thunder over hills, or like the sound of
> very
> distant church bells, or a distant plane, listened to from the top of a
> hill, with miles of air and wind moving volume and pitch around in a
> random
> and very organic way.
>

> -Michael
> www.michaelpeters.de

I have yet no experience with Granulab but those Stretched Landscapes
sound awesome! (as all music published on that page IMHO) Interesting
about the added "little bit of random" processing. Also nice reading
your description of the sounds achieved; "golden clouds", "a distant
plane" etc etc. It sort of brings over the vibe from that specific
moment when you applied those random processes and suddenly had the
overall sound coming alive :-)  I think I also heard some Gorgeous
Birds taking off in there.... or were they Flying Lizards? (yes, I'm
serious. that's what it sounds like. soo.... piano chords in a church
it was. hmmm.... cool)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---