Re: Antares (was:Britany Spears on Looping)

i've used both auto-tune and it's very cool cousin kantos
(a mono pitch tracking synth plugin) with my theremin to
quite effective ends... so weird to be able to play perfectly
pitched runs on the theremin! of course it destroys that
great sliding between pitches.... but with kantos you can
turn off the pitch correction and it will track the theremin
quite nicely. the only bummer is that it has a high end
brick wall... no dog tones!
cheers
bruce

On Dec 4, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Per Boysen wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2004, at 18:27, Ronan Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>>> That there Antares Vocal Helper Cher-Box Pitch
>>> Corrector thingy.... When I recognize it on a vocal,
>>> yes, it makes me retch. However, I can't help but
>>> wonder what'd sound like when used to process
>>> something like an oud, a  fretless bass, or (can we
>>> talk about this here?) to post-process a loop. Yeah, I
>>> know that when it's active in the circuit, you'd most
>>> likely lose the microtonal nuances that make fretless
>>> instruments so cool, but would that 'jumping to pitch'
>>> thing make any sounds that might be interesting in
>>> their own right?
>>>

>> The vocal helper thingy you are talking about is called Auto-tune.
>> You can certainly get some interesting effects from using Auto-tune
>> "inappropriately"  The most interesting thing is that for fretless
>> performances with slow glissando, AT will get confused about what
>> pitch it is supposed to be tuning to and bounce back and forth
>> between notes. If you set AT so that is takes a while before it
>> starts correcting a pitch you can actually "fix" a note with out much
>> of the audible artifacts, but you will of course kill the natural
>> vibrato which is such a lovely part of fretless instruments.
>

> I think pitch correction is a cool tool and I actually liked that
> Cheer tune! The effect has been used in a little different way by
> artists like Daft Punk or Röyksopp. But I've been a fool for real-time
> pitch transposing all since I heard Jon Hassel for the first time. I
> think he was playing the trumpet through an Eventide... something,
> harmonizer? Anyway, I'm playing around here with a borrowed Eclipse
> now and it's like having four parallel autotune plug-ins in a hardware
> box. Very inspiring! I really don't see the point in not using pitch
> correction. After all we make music to set up imaginary worlds, not to
> show that we can handle certain musical instruments ;-)
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen
> ---
> http://www.looproom.com (international)