Re: CONSTRAINT OF RANDOMNESS

At 1:50 PM -0600 12/4/04, Mech wrote:

>I don't think that *technically* this is Psychoacoustics (although
>since both deal with perception and interpretation, there's
>obviously going to be a bit of dovetailing). ..Psychoacoustics, as I
>always understood it, deals mostly with the way the physical wiring
>of our biological systems affects the way we hear things.  Whereas
>most of what we're speaking of above mostly deals with conditioned
>stimuli with each other.

I think we're in the twin realms of psychoacoustics and music
cognition, and I'm not in a position (without a little reading and
reflection) to cite a definitive definition of the precise boundary
between the two. However, back in graduate school (circa 1978-79) I
took a couple of classes in psychoacoustics, did a lot of reading of
the current literature, and even did some listening experiments. One
thing I learned was that at least in some areas of auditory
perception there were distinct differences between the responses of
naive listeners (undergraduate non-majors) and skilled listeners
(music graduate students).

I imagine different researchers may draw the line between strict
physiological psychoacoustics and music cognition in different
places, but I think some of the most interesting areas are where the
hard-wired and the learned responses interact. Thus auditory learning
has an effect on what one can hear in a piece of music one repeated
listenings or even during the course of a single listening. I've
observed this in my own responses even when the repeated listenings
are widely separated in time (by years, even).

However, there are certain psychoacoustic responses that are so
deeply embedded in the neural anatomy as to be permanently entrenched
(cf. the work of Diana Deutsch).

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com