Info theory ,Bateson

   A signal has to be predictable enough to be recognizable as a
signal,but
have enough variation ,or randomness to convey something.Bateson( I
studied
w/ him too) along with Warren McColough, Norbert Wiener and others
cofounded
the discipline of Cybernetics.His definition of information: A difference
that makes a difference.
  My interpretation: Nerves register difference . Animals on this planet
tend to have sensory systems attuned to the bandwidths of what they eat
and
what eat's them.In the Wild, when something moves in ones sensory field
,attention goes there.If it is predator ,or prey that constitutes a
difference that makes a difference, attention stays there  approprite
response s ensue. Ifit was just the wind blowing the leaves,it doesn't
make
any difference,and attention returns to random ,or stochastic scanning.
   Of course we humans have transcended the primitive state and our
attention gets filled with various of the abstractions that we generate.