Re: LOOPERS and VISUAL ARTISTS

  Collaborating with  visual artists is a very good idea. I have in the
past
when I needed video
  shot/edited , found students who needed projects.I found it necessary to
be very clear about what I wanted.  Anyway I'm sure there must be loads of
people doing computer animations that would love an audience  and who have
no experience with staging events .Of course there's the projector problem
again .Performances at schools could possibly use school gear. In high
population zones I'm sure digital projectors can be rented. We used to do
light shows with slide ,overhead,opaque and film projectors,collaged. I
like
to run films backwards. Project on weather ballons. But just 2 carouel
projectors with auto advance and lap dissolve projected onto the stage
,with
interesting images can be very effective,they don't have to change alot or
rapidly.One of the things I liked about Laurie Anderson's show,before she
got big,when she just had one tech was how minimalist ,but effective it
was.
Fr example, there was an image projected,about  7' across that looked like
an old "primitive" tribal stone carving of a face,something seemed really
familiar about it though -oh it's a 3 prong electric  socket,only the
image
is degraded from being projected so big and it looks like rough
stone.Powerful.
  Another thing she did was wave her violin bow around in a rapid circle
over her head while a slide was being projected on it,getting a flicker
fusion effect that made the image look like it was spinning.
  The Burning Man crowd is a very good audience to target.