Re: Question for Echoplex experts.

I started to suggest this as well, but remembered the issue I sometimes
run into as I loop more than just guitar.  Depending on where you
capture your guitar signal in the looper, and what you're using for
amplification, you can have a problem.

If, as many guitar-loopers are, you are capturing your electric guitar
signal before the poweramp and speakers, you then have a signal in your
looper that *needs* that final tone shaping step to sound "good".  That
is, of course, an opinion... but it's one that is commonly held among
guitar players.  If you capture a pre-poweramp/speaker electric guitar
signal in your EDP, along with a signal that should be amplified with
full-frequency equipment (for instance, a keyboard or a saxophone), then
you're in a dilemma re: which amp to send it to.

Right now I'm using my EDPs to loop any & everything, and I'm running
the output to a full range PA system.  So, I actually *mic* my guitar
cab and bring it into a mixer along with other signals.  I've also used
various rack guitar units with speaker sims to achieve the same thing.
The Roland GP-100 is a pretty spectacular unit for this, IMO.  I'm
considering flip-flopping back to it, in fact :)

Chris - I shouldn't really give $$ saving advice in this area, since I
have 2 EDPs and am exploring the addition of Ableton Live to my setup.
But as a basic answer, I'd suggest that you use one looper to manage
guitar signals, and another to grab your finished guitar signal (if you
want) plus other full-range instruments.  The new dilemma will be -
which for which? :)

2 EDPs synch beautifully together, just as you described, and in even
more powerful ways.  Read your EDP manual for some hints, but the basic
idea is that they can work together re: tempo (precisely, down to the
sample level), yet independently re: other features like loop length,
reverse/halfspeed, etc.  Together, they are a pretty amazing palette of
loopage.

If you can afford it, and are up for exploring it, buying another EDP
can't be a bad thing.

Doug