Re: Using backgrounds live

On Jan 2, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:

> Yeah, I was referring more to Mr. Polfuss's penchant
> for the theatrical when for the sake of showmanship
> he'd intentionally try to make it seem like he was
> doing live overdubs when he was playing along with the
> pre-recorded material. Only in my case I didn't
> realize (or particularly care) that layering an as-yet
> inaudible theremin part might be construed as an
> attempt to make it look like I was doing something
> else.
>
> -t-

yes, but  manipulated bowling alleys is another story.  theatrical?  no
ethics is an ethical consideration-no theatrics is theatrics.  who
cares except the erector of the erection?

i had recorded bowling alleys and scored prepared classical guitar for
my master thesis and a paper on backtones which i thought was better.

i figure they weren't impressed with my bowling alley piece because it
is kitsch.  i mean, a classical guy wearing ray-bans is what it is
really.  boinging around on a half prepared classical guitar with
something retro for x-hippies that are my jury.  yawn really.

now my backtone paper and compositions for guitar were hell on wheels.
got to pat myself on the back for that stuff because it got me high
marks for a brain but ray-bans ain't going to get you respect at a good
school, only chuckles.  i dropped it from my program at the last minute
and performed it at a club with a weird neo-beat setting since.

my remaining edp still sits in my garage and i've sold one.  i don't
like the machine or the manual.  looping is  a crock of crap for a man
with too many notes.  i have too many really good notes.  i'd rather
hear new notes.  so i can modulate the old notes and hack them up like
a surgeon. so what?  in the time it takes to hack them up i can think
of dozens of things to do with my brain and hands.

  want my loop iv?  brand new and black with extended warranty foot
pedal.  i mean i ain't giving it to the looper's benevolent society but
i'll take 900 plus shipping in original boxes.  just thinking about
that horrible machine makes me sick.  i hate it because it is not
intuitive and the manual makes it more horrible.

sorry kim.  you can pay me to learn the machine but my time is for new
notes.  not trying to be an asshole, just andre breton-ing. looping is
good for you.  can yield some fantastic textures...

Larry Cooperman
New Millennium Guitar
http://www.newmillguitar.com