Re: Boss Octave Pedal

I'm working through this issue also.  The octave effect on my Roland
GP-100 is pretty good (I suspect it's very similar or same technology as
the OC-2).  However, I did just recently buy a Gracie acoustic guitar
stand (upright, performance guitar holder), and it can also hold my old
cheapee bass, with some modifications (read: blocks of foam to span the
difference between acoustic gutiar thickness and elec bass thickness).

So, I can give you this report:

I like using the octaver effect much more.

Trying to drop a bass line in on a second pass of a loop is much more
natural (for me) by quickly going to the octave patch, vs. stepping up
to the bass.  Second, with some tweaking, and using the neck pickup as
Mark Smart mentioned, I'm getting exactly the effect I want.  No - it
doesn't sound like a real bass.  It sounds slightly warbly, like a
fretless.  But using the neck pickup, and picking carefully and cleanly,
I don't get the octave jumps or strange artifacts.

So, none of this directly confirms the OC-2 for you, but I'd say even if
you can't try one out before buying, it's worth the $40 to try.  If it
doesn't blow your skirt up, you should be able to turn it around on eBay
or Harmony-Central and only lose a few bucks.  Or, try the Chilli
Dog...  I've heard good things there too - seems like one of the few
effects that Dano makes that people like.  The French Toast fuzz also
gets high marks as a Foxx Tone Machine ripoff - wonder if Mr. Belew has
one yet? :)

Please let us know how it turns out, no matter which one you choose?
Always looking for a better way.

Dig

PS - I *do* love the Gracie stand for switching to acoustic when I need
to.  With the stand adjusted right, and my electric strapped on
correctly (ooo kinky!), I can switch between them in a beat, and the
electric doesn't hit the acoustic.  Neato.