Re: Dixie Dregs (Was: Jerry Marotta Tom Griesgraber NAMM and beyond)

On Jan 17, 2005, at 17:51, Bernhard Wagner wrote:

> Dixie Dregs! Can't believe they still exist. Years ago I used to record
> solos by Steve Morse (esp. "Bloodsucking Leeches" on "Industry
> Standard",
> 1982) on grandma's tape recorder where you could replace a flange which
> would half the speed...

I too was chocked and pleased to hear they are still going strong! We
hired some musicians for touring in the nineties, including a (Swedish)
guitar player that went a year to GIT. He told me that Steve Morse was
giving lessons there and the Dregs still giging. By then I had not
heard anything from that band since reading about Steve Morse in Guitar
Player magazine in the mid/late seventies. I had ran (back in the 70s)
to the record shop listening but never got into the Dregs back then. To
my inexperienced ears they just seemed to play chords and riffs like
anybody (compared to Hendrix and J. Beck that "played melodies").
Anyway, my fellow guitarist in the nineties band told me that Morse was
just amazing when giving clinics, because he just played the guitar
(super fast and well) while walking around the class room and talking
at the same time. No one without a tape recorder could take it all in.
They had to record Morse's multi mania performance and go home to
listen for days.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---