Re: Behringer-Mackie debate

As for Behringer mixers, I´ve pointed out in various forums that there´s a
huge variability among them. If you have a very old model from, say, 1996
(easily distinguishable by their dark grey livery and, in the case of the
MX2642 I´m always referring to, missing preamp pots and simple three-band
EQ
in the stereo section), these units are rotten pieces of junk, agreed.
Later
they improved on the design and first added a decent EQ and a input level
pot to the stereo section (these models have a grey livery). The final
production run (then called MX2642A, which comes in silver livery) featured
redesigned preamps which make this a really good-sounding mixer for the
price (they were keen to offload them when the new series was introduced
and
consequently, many dealers sold these mixers for 200 Euros new). I have one
as my main mixer (seriously), and especially for looping applications and
flexible fx and looper routings, this is the best portable 19" mixer
available. The preamps are relatively quiet (even quieter than my old
Soundtracs console, and a lot quieter than the original 2642 design), the
EQ
section is decent (if I ever use EQ, I´m using proTools´ EQ Rack plug-in
anyway) and the sound is very transparent (in contrast to the original 2642
from around 1996 which sounded like there were pillows in front of the
speakers). I would not hesitate to get me another one (and believe me, I
have every reason to slag off Behringer, having once been a freelance
employee).

The designs are clearly Mackie-inspired (too close for comfort for Mackie,
believe) but I know the designer of the Eurodesk series who clearly stayed
away from Mackie´s designs technically.

Other Behringer stuff is -- I have to second that -- plain BS. The
Virtualizer sounds worse than my old Dynacord DRS-78 and was noisier than
my
AKG BX-15, and their RSP Hush 2000 rip-off was adding more noise to a
signal
than reducing it. And talking about their valve-based Vintager series...
rumour has it that valves were only used for decoration ("look it glows in
the dark") but not for musical reasons...

Stephen.

"Our land is a rape machine, I´d go outside if it looked the other way. You
wouldn´t believe the things they do." (Gary Numan / "Down in the Park")

Visit the official [´ramp] website at www.doombient.com