Re: emulating a cheap sampling toy

I wondered that if one wishes to replicate a "cheap", tinny, distorted
sound
filter, why not use really cheap components to make it sound tinny, and
distort it.

Case in point: There were these little cheap modules back in the late 70s
that would plug right onto your guitar (and the cord into that, if not
another cheap module), with bright colors and names like "Orange Screamer"
and so forth.  Very few electronics inside with the 9v battery, on-off
toggle switch outside.  I believe the Orange Screamer was a treble-booster,
the other one I had was a fuzz/distortion effect.

One might wonder that, if the electronics are so simple they're going to be
cheap, as well as fairly easy to assemble.  I found some projects like this
on the following sites:

The "Hornet" fuzz box
http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Hornet/hornet.jpg

A "Mini-booster" circuit
http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm

Also if anyone remembers those little effects (sort of) units I'd be
curious..!